The Raspberry Pi Page
I’ve been working on developing device controllers with the Raspberry Pi. I’ve also had to learn a lot about programming the Pi in the process.
From Apple to Raspberry Pi
Going from Apple to Raspberry Pi An introduction to my adventures with the Raspberry Pi
Basic Programming Techniques
- Variables and Types A few thoughts on the difference between static and dynamic typing.
- Look ma! No Braces!! Unlike C-based syntax, Python uses a four space tab to indicate blocks of code. What does that mean?
- Python’s If An introduction to the If…elif…else structure of Python, which does all of Switch…case and if in one foul swoop.
- While Loops A look at one common loop structure in Python.
- Python for Loops A very differnt philosophy went into the for loop compared to many computer languages. Think “fast enumeration”
Using Functions and Classes
- Transitioning into Functions. How to make a function in Python.
- Making Classes in PythonAn introduction to classes in Python, and how to make class constructors correctly.
- Importing Classes and Disturbing Attributes.How to use classes in other modules, and some disturbing discoveries about class attributes.
- Using Inheritance and Overrides A beginning discussion about inheritance in Python where we override a function in a subclass, and add an attribute.
Python GUI :TKinter
Tkinter is the standard module for Graphical user interfaces in Python.
- Windows Buttons and Widgets — on Pi!
- From Apple to Raspberry Pi: Configuring Buttons for GUI
- Living without Storyboards and Interface Builder
- Making Icons and Cool Buttons
- Making Round Rectangle buttons — The Movie
- More widgets! More Power!!
- A Gentle Introduction to Themed Widgets With ttk
- Using Object Oriented Programming with Tkinter
- Adding Combo Box Selections and Message Boxes
- A MVC Template for Tkinter
- An Example of Implementing a Python MVC (Part 1)
- An Example of Implementing a Python MVC (Part 2)
- How to Make a List Box (Somewhat) Useful
- Adding Scroll Bars and Frames
- Adding a Tkinter Text Box in Python
- A Scroll List Box that Works
A number of other resources out there that have been very helpful:
- I learned a lot about setup here. I have not yet tried some of the electronics projects, but I’m planning to. Here’s ones I’ve used: