The Raspberry Pi Page
I’ve been working on developing device controllers with the Raspberry Pi. I’ve also had to learn a lot about programming the Pi in the process.
From Apple to Raspberry Pi
A collection of my ongoing blog-posts on transitioning into a Raspberry Pi from being a iPhone App developer since 2011.
Going from Apple to Raspberry Pi An introduction to my adventures with the Raspberry Pi
Basic Programming Techniques
- Variables and Types A few thoughts on the difference between static and dynamic typing.
- Look ma! No Braces!! Unlike C-based syntax, Python uses a four space tab to indicate blocks of code. What does that mean?
- Python’s If An introduction to the If…elif…else structure of Python, which does all of Switch…case and if in one foul swoop.
- While Loops A look at one common loop structure in Python.
- Python for Loops A very differnt philosophy went into the for loop compared to many computer languages. Think “fast enumeration”
Using Functions and Classes
- Transitioning into Functions. How to make a function in Python.
- Making Classes in PythonAn introduction to classes in Python, and how to make class constructors correctly.
- Importing Classes and Disturbing Attributes.How to use classes in other modules, and some disturbing discoveries about class attributes.
- Using Inheritance and Overrides A beginning discussion about inheritance in Python where we override a function in a subclass, and add an attribute.
Python GUI :TKinter
Tkinter is the standard module for Graphical user interfaces in Python.
- Windows Buttons and Widgets — on Pi!
- From Apple to Raspberry Pi: Configuring Buttons for GUI
- Living without Storyboards and Interface Builder
- Making Icons and Cool Buttons
- Making Round Rectangle buttons — The Movie
- More widgets! More Power!!
- A Gentle Introduction to Themed Widgets With ttk
- Using Object Oriented Programming with Tkinter
- Adding Combo Box Selections and Message Boxes
- A MVC Template for Tkinter
- An Example of Implementing a Python MVC (Part 1)
- An Example of Implementing a Python MVC (Part 2)
- How to Make a List Box (Somewhat) Useful
- Adding Scroll Bars and Frames
- Adding a Tkinter Text Box in Python
- A Scroll List Box that Works
A number of other resources out there that have been very helpful:
Adafruit Learning System — Raspberry Pi
- I learned a lot about setup here. I have not yet tried some of the electronics projects, but I’m planning to. Here’s ones I’ve used:
Leave a Reply